Slaley Commemoration Hall
The Commemoration Hall is a substantial stone building consisting of a large main hall, a smaller meeting room with bar facilities and a kitchen. Built by Charles Samuel and Agnes Mona Hunting of Slaley Hall to commemorate the safe return of their children from the First World War, it was given to the community at the end of December 1922, to be managed by trustees.
It is now managed as a Registered Charity, number: 522138.
Regular activities: These include meetings of the Women's Institute, Slaley Film Club, Parish Council meetings, Mother & Toddler group, Badminton, Keep Fit and Carpet Bowls.
Main hall: 14.4 m x 7.5 m, maximum capacity 150.
Meeting room: 5.6 m x 4.6 m, maximum capacity 30.
Kitchen: 4.7 m x 4.0 m, a well equipped kitchen with modern range cooker, refrigerator, microwave, commercial dishwasher and place settings for 100 people.
Other rooms: Toilets (ladies & gentlemen), storage area.
Access: Wheelchair access is provided to the main entrance, and from one emergency exit. Disabled toilet facilities are provided off the main hall.
Facilities & equipment: Flexible staging can be erected in the Hall and elsewhere when needed; a PA system with induction loop is also available. The hall is continually warmed and aired throughout by gas central heating, which can be varied at the turn of a knob, and a heat extractor fan is installed. Portable staging and disabled toilet facilities make the Hall a very economical venue for many proceedings, especially those wanting to cater for their own party, fashion show or various fund raising events. Unlicensed bar facility in the meeting room (hirers must obtain their own Temporary Event Notice).
Parking: Off-road parking is available for a limited number of cars or vans on the hall forecourt.
Available for hire:
- Meetings or conferences
- Parties & private functions
- Fairs & sales, exhibitions
- Indoor sports
- Music & dancing
- Social events
Rates: Contacts: Ros Doonan (Chairman) (01434) 673173, Margaret Weatherley (Treasurer) (01434) 673495, David & Ann Wright (Bookings) (01434) 673366
The Commemoration Hall is managed by a committee, representing all those using its facilities on a regular basis.
The current membership of the Committee is:
Ros Doonan (Chairman)
Michael Elphick (Vice Chairman)
Pat Wilson (Secretary)
Margaret Weatherley (Treasurer)
Ann Wright (Booking Clerk)
Debra Taylor (Parish Council)
Minutes of committee meetings are published when they have been approved, as are the latest annual accounts. Click on the link below for the latest minutes and annual accounts available:
Our survey has finished!
Built and given to the people of Slaley by the Hunting family of Slaley Hall and opened in September 1922, the Commemoration Hall is fast approaching its centenary, and the current trustees are embarking on a facelift of the facilities.
We are committed to upgrading the toilet facilities and bringing the storage area up to the level of the main building, but the Commemoration Hall is more than just better toilets. To help us make the right decisions, we asked you to complete the short questionnaire, and over 65 people have responded.
The survey of our users' and visitors' opinions and suggestions has now been completed, and will be studied by the Committee over the next few months.
The results of the survey can now be viewed and downloaded as a PDF document:
No personal information has been included in this report, but all comments made by the respondents have been transcribed without editing.